NEON has internship opportunities in a variety of science, technology and engineering fields, each with specific requirements for the position. Please click on the internship position you are interested in to review the requirements and be sure your background fits the particular internship.
- After reviewing the requirements for the specific internship, prepare a paragraph describing how your background (coursework and experience) addresses the specific requirements listed in that position description. You will insert this paragraph in to the application.
- Prepare essays for the following two questions. You will insert these essays in to your application.
Academic Statement of Purpose: Please prepare a statement about your career goals (in a science, engineering, computing and/or communication related field) and how participating in the NEON Internship program will help you meet these goals. Please limit this to 500 words.
NEON mission and your personal journey: NEON is dedicated to enhancing the diversity of future science, technology and engineering communities and sharing our science with a broader audience. Please describe how you, based on your personal background and life experiences (including social, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges) will contribute to this mission during and after participation in the NEON Internship Program. Please limit this to 500 words.
- Request recommendations from two contacts who can speak to your ability to do the work described, using the NEON Internship Recommendation Form (instructions on the form). Recommendations may be from faculty members, academic counselors, previous employers, or community contacts. At least one should be from an academic member. Be sure to give your recommenders plenty of time to complete the recommendation and send it in to the NEON Internship office.
- Obtain a copy of your transcripts to mail in with your application, or contact your institution to have transcripts sent to the NEON Internship office. We do not need high school transcripts.
- Click here to access the NEON Internship Application. You may type your responses directly in to this form. You will need Adobe Reader to do so. (Mac Users: Edit in Adobe ONLY. Do not use Mac Preview). When you have completed and saved the application, print and sign your application and then email, fax or mail it to the NEON Internship Program office - address listed on the application. Note: If you have trouble completing the application in your browser, download a copy of the application and complete it offline.
NEON Internship Program applications are due February 1st, 2013.
If you have any questions, please contact NEON at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Internship Opportunities:
Applications are due February 1st, 2013
The NEON Internship program is dedicated to broadening participation in science and engineering. We strongly encourage students from historically under-represented groups in science and engineering to apply. Our program is designed to promote future student success by providing support through mentoring, leadership training and various networking activities.
Successful Candidates will:
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining after the summer internship
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have U.S. Citizen or permanent-resident status
- Meet the specific requirements for their desired internship position