Internship Opportunities & How to Apply
NEON's Internships opportunities for 2015 are posted below.
Please click on a link to see a full description of the opportunity including requirements for the position.
- Terrestrial Ecology Internship: internship will include site characterization field work and computer work analyzing data linking soil physical and chemical properties, belowground biomass, and plant ecology.
- Terrestrial Ecology/Instrumentation Internship: internship will include site characterization field work and computer work developing algorithms for analyzing data acquired from tower based instruments. May also investigate relationships between these observations for quality control purposes.
- Airborne Observatory Platform Internship: internship will involve developing software tools for quick looks, preliminary analysis, and quality assessment of imaging spectrometer and LiDAR data acquired as part of NEON airborne operations, and will include exposure to airborne data collection and ground support activities.
- Computing Internship: internship will involve the design and colding of tablet user interfaces for scientific data collection or design and coding of RESTful data transfer services for the NEON data environment.
- Engineering Internship: internship will involve research and development of calibration processes. Depending on interests and skill set, this engineering internship may involve wet chemistry, radiation, electro-mechanical, or gas composition analysis systems.
- Information Technology (IT) Internship: internship will involve technical support of IT equipment used in the development and operations of the ecological observatory network. Project may involve creating scripts to automate activities, analyzing network requirements, or installing/testing new software tools.
When applying for an internship position, you will need to write a paragraph addressing how your background, coursework and experience help prepare you for the position. You will add this paragraph to your internship application form. This form will be posted on the Application Portal, opening in mid-November.
NEON Application Portal will open in mid-November.
If you have any questions, please contact NEON at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Due Date
Applications due Feb 16, 2015
Application Portal opens in mid-November.
The NEON Internship program is dedicated to broadening participation in science, engineering and technology. NEON encourages applications from individuals who are members of groups historically under-represented in engineering and science (including students from diverse backgrounds, first-generation college students, students with disabilitites, economic disadvantaged students and veterans).
Click here to learn more about NSF’s 2013 report on "Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering."
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college and have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining after the summer internship
- Have interest in working in one of the following disciplines: engineering; computer science and information technology; informatics; ecology, biology, earth or environmental science.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have permanent authorization for U.S. employment
- Meet the specific requirements for their desired internship position